10 Impactful Moments from 2018
Our Community Snapshot: 10 Impactful Moments from 2018
2018 was a year of growth! Our clients, partners, and friends continued to make strides in their respective industries, inspiring change for the betterment of our community. Here are 10 impactful highlights from the past year:
- Are the 2018 Saints the best ever? Our Saints further their symbol of faith in our community, positioning sports as a powerful unifier – a further testament to the work the Laureus Foundation is doing with its “Sport for Good” program to inspire youth, one game at a time.
- New Orleans restaurant industry honored with national accolades:
- 2018 James Beard Honorees:
- Outstanding Bar Program – Cure
- Best Chef South – Nina Compton, Compère Lapin
- Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America Inductees – Ti Martin & Lally Brennan – Co-Proprietors, Commander’s Palace
- America’s Classics – Dong Phuong Bakery
- Alon Shaya recognized nationally for doing his part to improve restaurant industry culture with his and his wife’s new venture, Pomegranate Hospitality. “The team is number one and that is who we are as a company.”
- 2018 James Beard Honorees:
- LSU makes a $765M economic impact in New Orleans – great example of how universities, including Tulane, UNO and others, are financially contributing to our local economy.
- The national popularity of Executive Coaching taking off here in New Orleans – read Kevin Wilkin’s piece for Biz New Orleans on why you should invest in a coach.
- New Orleans’s largest tourism hub gets an upgrade – NOCVB rebranded as New Orleans & Co. and continues to break records.
- Education Reform – exemplary local organizations working to fill gaps in education:
- New Pathways New Orleans leadership recognized in Gambit’s 40 Under 40 for trying to help build a New Orleans where “all youth and families, regardless of birth, race, class, disability or gender, have equal access to educational opportunities.”
- Emerge Center opens tuition-free school for children with autism in Baton Rouge.
- Big Funding WINS:
- Lake Charles native’s food delivery company, Waitr acquired for $308M.
- ExemptMeNow Founder & CEO is the first black woman in New Orleans to raise millions in capital.
- Maryam Uloho, Founder of SisterHearts proves that, after incarceration, love is the answer. She started a re-entry program, with supporting thrift store, to help formerly incarcerated women get back on their feet.
- Realtors from the New Orleans Metropolitan Association of Realtors (NOMAR) Commercial Investment Division, along with GNO, Inc. and other key economic development players, assisted in bringing DXC Technology to the market resulting in sizable economic impact.
- Grantmaking and investments in accessible career opportunities is prioritized in the hospitality industry.
And these are just a few mentions of the many individuals and organizations that contributed to a great 2018. We look forward to more celebration and success in the year ahead, and we wish you and yours an impactful 2019!
We power organizations to maximize their potential.
Latest posts by trepwise (see all)
- trepwise Continues to Grow with Staff Promotion - May 17, 2019
- 2019 – Q2 Jobs Roundup - April 24, 2019
- Local Consulting Firm Growing with Staff Promotions and New Hires - February 28, 2019