Startup Genome Releases 2018 Report
New Orleans Included as One of Six Surveyed Cities
New Orleans (October 29, 2018) – Startup Genome included New Orleans in its most recent report, “How Early-Stage Ecosystems are Developing in the United States”, supported by the Kauffman Foundation, analyzing the startup ecosystems of six American cities.
The report was released last week and compares six U.S. metropolitan areas that are not in the top 40 most populous and which have been fairing less well economically than the country as a whole. The chosen cities were:
- Albuquerque, NM
- Fresno, CA
- Hartford, CT
- New Orleans, LA
- Reno, NV
- Springfield, MA
In each of these cities, efforts are underway to support entrepreneurs, create more startups, and generate stronger economic trajectories. Through Startup Genome’s ecosystem assessment, it established wherein the “Ecosystem Lifecycle” each is, how they compare to other cities, and what key priorities might strengthen their ecosystems. Startup Genome released a summary report of the research and findings, in partnership with Kauffman and local organizations in all six metros that helped with data collection (trepwise and Launch Pad were partners in the New Orleans market). Download the full report HERE. Below are some New Orleans performance highlights:
- New Orleans showed its focus on building a strong culture with Founders receiving, on average, two hours of help per week from other Founders
- New Orleans, along with Albuquerque, showed strong local connectedness, even outperforming the global average among all ecosystems
- New Orleans ranked highest in “Frequency of Local Startup Events” and “Expert Relationships”
- New Orleans was a close second following Albuquerque in “Investor Relationships” and “Relationships with Other Founders”
- New Orleans ranked third in “Startup Density” after Springfield and Reno, and higher than the activation average based on population
- Areas with room for improvement were “Global Market Reach” and “Global Connectedness” (yet New Orleans and Albuquerque had the highest GC among its peers), as well as “National Startup Attraction” and “National Entrepreneur Attraction”
“The Startup Genome report is an interesting comparison of the six participating startup markets. The research results of these early-stage ecosystems demonstrate the similarities and challenges these different markets face,” said Kevin Wilkins, Founder and Managing Director of trepwise. “The insight into startup trends can influence decision-making and help escalate the startup and tech communities across the globe.”
“The data shared in the Startup Genome report brought to the surface an honest evaluation of the challenges ecosystems face, and realizing that creating a strong ecosystem is not just paying lip service to the idea, but to actually take action and invest in helping to strengthen entrepreneurship,” said Anne Driscoll, President and COO of Launch Pad and former CMO of Startup Genome. “Perhaps those markets aren’t momentum markets, but if you want to become one, you have to support each other, create meaningful relationships, and don’t hesitate to teach, guide, and learn.”
About Startup Genome
Startup Genome works to increase the success rate of startups and improve the performance of startup ecosystems globally. We advise leaders of innovation ministries, agencies and organizations supporting startups, bringing data-driven insights, clarity and focus to actions that produce more scaleups, job creation, and economic growth. With a rigorous model based on the world’s largest primary research on startups, we work with hundreds of public and private organizations in more than 30 countries. Find our work at www.startupgenome.com, and connect with us on Twitter and Medium.
About Launch Pad
Launch Pad’s mission is to support entrepreneurship and startup success; we offer collaborative workspaces, a global startup ecosystem network, and a venture fund focused on momentum markets.
Our collaborative workspaces offer an energetic and engaging work-life experience with both coworking and private office space for individuals and teams, hospitality-inspired design, and a diverse networked community with a sense of purpose and belonging. Our members tell us that being a part of Launch Pad offers them opportunities to grow, a more professional presence, and provides them with the tools they need to take on the big challenges they face in business.
At Launch Pad, we support entrepreneurs, businesses and help each of our communities flourish. We create an international network of Launch Pad movers and shakers that are hell-bent on creating amazing work, collaborating with one another, learning new ways to grow, and having fun while doing it. This is why we always say that our work is all about supporting people with pride and cities with soul.
About trepwise, llc
Founded in 2013, trepwise is a growth consulting firm that powers organizations to maximize their potential. Our robust, cross-functional advisory team has years of experience working with hundreds of organizations here in New Orleans and beyond. The company’s client portfolio is a mix of organizations, from the for-profit, non-profit and public sectors, and virtually every industry.
Located in Central City on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, trepwise is a for-profit, values based, and mission driven company. We use innovative approaches to scale and sustain organizations by extracting insights, designing strategies, and supporting implementation. trepwise provides clients across all sizes, sectors, and industries with pathways to organizational excellence with a focus on people, planning, and
process. For more information, visit: www.trepwise.com. Connect on Facebook or follow on Twitter (@trepwise) and LinkedIn.
Media Contact: Genevieve J. Douglass — email@example.com – 504.496.8314
Latest posts by Genevieve Douglass (see all)
- Celebrating Five Years of Impact - November 26, 2018
- Startup Genome Releases 2018 Report - October 29, 2018
- How to Strengthen Your Nonprofit - October 10, 2018
- 4 Nonprofit Senior Leadership Positions Available Right Now
- Join the trepwise Team — Associate Role Now Open
- trepwise 2020 gift guide
- Blake J. Stanfill, Director of Growth, named Money Maker by New Orleans CityBusiness magazine for third consecutive year
- Isaac MacDonald, Director of Planning & Impact, selected to 2021 Cohort of New Leaders Council Louisiana